Friday, March 30, 2012

Stir-Fried Cabbage with Bacon

I forgotten when I cook this. But that's okay.

I love Cabbages. They are sweet, crunchy, nutritious, not expensive and most importantly, it can store longer in my fridge. I will always keep a head of cabbage at home when I knew I have busy schedule in a week ahead. It can keep very well up to a week. But I try not to keep them for that long.

Savoy, green and red cabbage are popular in Western countries. But in Asia, the most general and cheaper one is the green cabbage that we commonly see in the market. Cabbages can be rounded, flattened or pointed. I personally like flattened type. Usually comes from Cameron Highland, Malaysia. They taste sweeter. And Cabbages does best in a cooler climate. Those mini sized round Cabbages that we usually see in NTUC comes from China, and they labelled it as Beijing Cabbage. They taste mild bitter, which I don't buy it often. But still, I will grab one once in a blue moon, when the Cabbages imported from Malaysia is out of stock.
Stir Fried Cabbage. The simplest stir fried vegetable that I could think of.

Ingredient
400 grams of Cabbage
2 streaks of Bacon, cut into small pieces
1 tbsp oil
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 slices ginger, julienned
a dash of fish sauce (It's good to have. However, it's optional)
a dash of pepper
a tablespoons of Shao Xing Wine (Chinese Cooking Wine)
salt to taste (may omit salt if you choose to use fish sauce)

Method
1. Heat oil in a wok, fry the bacon bits till crunchy, but not charred. Dish up. Set aside. Leave the oil in the wok. Those are flavors that we wanted.
2. Garlic & ginger into the wok, fry till fragrant. Add in cabbages, stir until the cabbages are coated with oils & flavors. Cover the wok, cook for awhile. Add salt and pepper. Stir well, cook for 1 or 2 minutes. It should be tender by now.
3. Stir in Shao Xing Wine. Give it a quick toss. Heat off, dish up. Sprinkle Bacon bits on top and serve.
If you don't want your dish to looks too dry, splash abit of water while stir frying. It will gives you abit of broth that goes very well with your rice.


I'm just lovin' it :)

2 comments:

  1. Annie, The bacon looks so sinfully delicious on tob of the cabbage! I love cabbage - it's so versatile! Stir fry with julienned carrots, or with dried shrimps, oooh, add some tang Hoon too! keep your lovely recipes coming! And the backdrop you use for most photos (greenery) is refreshing!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle, i love cabbage too! I can eat a big bowl of cabbage just like that! Dried shrimps is the usual combination that I cook at home. It's simple and it's versatile! You're right :)

    ReplyDelete