Arrowroot is very much like a big sweet potato. I crave for this soup. The very last time I had this soup was during Chinese New Year, brewed by my mother. Ahhh... I missed the taste of my mother's soup so much! And so, I bought arrowroot today. Like all root vegetables, it is best slow boiled with pork ribs, red dates, dried octopus / cuttlefish to make a nice and simple soup.
This piece of 450 grams of arrowroot 450 grams cost S$1.20. Got it from the market.
The arrowroot is harder in texture and it is extensively starchy than potato. When it is cut up, it has patterns on surface that looks like the ages of a tree trunk.
And this is what I've prepared....
Yes! You didn't see it wrongly. I've got some lotus root there. I did it on purpose. But you could opt it out if you wanted to. My mother told me that arrowroot has a mild cooling effect. A very mild one. By adding some lotus root in the soup. it will kinda neutralize the soup and the soup will be more nutritious.
Ingredients (Serve 4 to 6 pax)
- 450 grams of Arrowroot, scrubbed cleaned and sliced.
- 250 grams of Lotus Root, cleaned, peeled and sliced. (Optional)
- 300 grams of Pork Ribs, scalded (I want the soup more meaty taste this time)
- 5 to 6 red dates.
- 4 to 5 dried scallops
- 1/2 of a foot long dried octopus. Snipped into small pieces.
- 3000ml water
- sea salt to taste
This soup is high in protein and fiber. It is a very neutral soup and requires little effort to make it. I could proudly promise you that this soup is really sweet and tasty. Just like usual way of cooking a good old pot of soup, adding in seafood ingredients such as dried scallops and dried octopus is unavoidable. This makes the soup so refreshing sweet with the natural sweetness from dried seafood. You can omit if you don’t like seafood, just add in more pork ribs or pork bones. But I personally don't advise that.
1. Rinse pork ribs, scald in boiling water for awhile, remove and rinse. (Refer to this if you are unsure on how to prepare the ribs)
2. Wash scallops, red dates, dried octopus. Prepare lotus root & arrowroot accordingly.
4. In a soup pot, put everything in (except salt). Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer the soup over low heat for 2 hours. And if you have more time, make it 3 hours.
5. Did I ever mentioned to you before that your soup will have the Umph! after 3 hours? Remember to sprinkle some salt to taste before serve.
This soup is high in fiber and is ideal for children as it is very natural and neutral. It strengthens Chi (气) and could boosts immune system.
This delicious soup with ingredients which have been softened through long hours of brewing. I'm sure your family will love this heart-warming pot of soup.
I hope you like it :)
Tried this yesterday! Delicious.... my husband says its a cantonese soup...is it true ?
Btw, thanks for your wonderful recipes !
Hi Ling, yes! It is cantonese soup. I'm glad that you liked it :)Delete
I have severe food allergies, and whole arrowroot (but not the white, commonly available arrowroot starch) is one of the few things I can eat. Can you suggest any online sources to order whole arrowroot or any asian markets which will ship to other states?ReplyDelete
Hi Anonymous, I stay in Singapore. I don't know about states. Maybe you need to google about it :)Delete
Arrow roots is available in US,Delete
can use slow cooker? if can, must cook how long?
Hi Peach, yes You can use slow cooker. Once soup is boiled, transfer to slow cooker and let the slow cooker do the rest of the job. Recommended at least 3 hours or upto 4 hours.Delete