Friday, March 9, 2012

BBQ Ribs

This one.... Max can go gaga over it. His standard pick western dish whenever he visit restaurants that serves ribs. Those general ones... Kenny Rogers, Cafe Cartel & etc. Which they are serving baby back ribs.

There are many BBQ Ribs Recipe out there that you could easily get it. Differing mainly the sauce or the rub used or not used. I do follow them strictly last time. But now, nah! I don't really bother. I had not been making this for 2 years. And now, I'm repeating it again.

There's nothing special about my BBQ Ribs I would say. There are lots of much better BBQ Ribs Recipe than mine. And I'm using my Brandt Oven to grill em' instead. Living in Singapore, not everyone will have the luxury space to own a grill at home. Count myself lucky if I own a Oven that is capable enough to do general grilling & baking at home.

Although I've emphasized that my BBQ recipe has nothing special to fancy about, but I can guarantee you that it's really yummy.

Ingredients (Serve 1 greedy monster. But i serve 2, happily)

About 500 to 600 grams of pounds pork loin back ribs. I got mine at S$12.00 for 600grams from the butcher at wet market. If you can get baby back ribs, it's even better. The meat would be more tender.

Dry Rub

  • few dashes of olive oil or cooking oil
  • 4 tablespoons paprika
  • 2 teaspoons red pepper
  • 2 teaspoons white pepper
  • 2 teaspoons black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons onion powder
  • 2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 tablespoons of Molasses (or any dark brown sugar that you have at home. It's fine).
Just incase if you don't know what Molasses is. This is the one...


If you really have all above ingredients at home, follow accordingly. But if you don't, then how? Buy all of them?

Nope! Don't be silly. Just use this....

But if you are mad rich, of course I won't stop you from buying all those. It's useful anyway. But trust me. All Purpose Seasoning works fine all the time (when I feel lazy). I always keep one at home. Just incase any of them (the dry rub ingredients i mean) run out of stock, this comes in real handy. But remember to add Molasses and olive oil.

Here's my ribs rubbed with dry rub ingredients... It's not really that "dry", it has abit of oil in there to kinda moist it.



Barbecue Sauce

  • 1 chopped onions
  • 6 to 7 tablespoons of ketchup
  • 2/3 cup of water
  • 1 teaspoons of salt
  • 5 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
  • 3 tablespoons of white vinegar
  • 5 tablespoons of Molasses or any dark brown sugar of your preference.
This makes real good BBQ Sauce. But if don't have the luxurious time to do all these, you may skip it, close one eye and use shop bought BBQ Sauce. It works rather fine if you are not a fussy person I would say. At least Max won't be able to tell the difference. But I definitely do. Haha!

Method
  • Combine all the Dry Rub ingredient, mix well and give the ribs a good rub. Let the ribs rest for 30mins at room temperature.

  • Preheat oven at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C)
  • Place ribs onto baking pan. Bake ribs (Bone side down) in preheated oven for 1 hour. Turn ribs over and bake for another hour.

  • Prepare BBQ sauce while the ribs are in the oven. Combine all the BBQ sauce ingredients. In a large saucepan and bring to a rolling boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally until the sauce thickened.

  • Turn and baste meat every 10mins with the BBQ sauce. Do it repeatedly for at least 2 times each side to achieve the moist & sticky result.
Alot of work isn't it? By the time I finished this, it's already 7.30pm. Darn!
And there's something that is hesitating me from blogging for food. The light condition in my house. It's really really bad when it comes to photo taking. The damn low light condition makes my dishes looks charred.

This is the best photo I could take... shame on me.


But when you see the result, sink your teeth into the juicy, tender, moist meat and it just slide off the bone, you will know all these hard work are worthwhile.


Stay Tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment