Friday, July 13, 2012

Quick Meal : Smoked Duck Spaghetti

Like people, food items require adequate partner pairings for healthy social development and reduce tendencies to mutter to oneself at home. Make friends, spread love, with food. Probably the common but comforting Spaghetti and of course... Salad!

I always believe in good combination of meat, starch and vegetables in a meal. I always do :)


I don't think I need to give this plate of spaghetti any fanciful introduction. The post title says it all.

Cold Storage grilling section sells delicious smoked duck. I still remember how much my deceased father love the smoked duck that I bought from there. They grill it fresh everyday and they are ready to eat. I will grab one home whenever I'm feelin' good. Although it's not often, but I had been buying smoked duck from Cold Storage for a number of years, and I'm still doing it. They are really good. You could say me cheat, but who don't? You will have to agree that some shop-bought stuffs are really good, inexpensive and really convenient!

Here, this is what I usually do after I brought the duck home. Leave it cool abit, so that it's easier to handle. I will cut away the two drumsticks and wings, and I eat them fresh on the same day. And for the body part, I debone it, pack it up nicely, airtight, keep it in the freezer. It comes in really handy when I wanna do stir-fry. Be it noodles or grill it hot and serve along with salad or something. Smoked duck is really good alternative when bacon has become boring.

Aside the smoked duck, the main ingredients in this spaghetti is shallots and olive oil. It's like the traditional aglio olio, but aglio olio called for garlic and oil, and some likes to sprinkle with some chilli flakes. It's so simple.

Ingredients  (Serves 2, easily)
  • 230 grams Smoked Duck Meat, cut into pieces
  • 130 grams Spaghetti
  • 3 shallot, finely sliced.
  • Thyme infused or Garlic infused Olive Oil, Ordinary Olive Oil works fine too
  • a splash of White Wine (if you have it at home)
  • Parmesan Cheese for topping (Optional)
  • Sea Salt and Pepper to taste

Method
  1. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil and add the spaghetti. Stir well and boil rapidly until the pasta is al dente.
  2. Strain spaghetti, set aside. Keep the starchy water that you used to cook spaghetti. It's useful.
  3. Meanwhile, combine the oil and garlic in a small saucepan. Fry the shallots till fragrant. And then, add in smoked duck pieces. Continue to fry until you could smell the smoked duck's fragrance.
  4. Add in spaghetti, salt and pepper. Toss. Add abit of the starchy water along the way, to give the noodles more moisture.
  5. Give a splash of white wine, give it a quick toss before you turn off the heat. If you have Parmesan Cheese at home, grate some on top before serve.
It's easy, right?

Oh yes! Side track abit. Salad! The veggies must be fresh from the market. I love and I'd always try my best to make my salad to looks more vibrant. It's like, when I look at it, I will smile. You know?


I will always wanna put our bellies in a good mood over the weekend. Although it might looks simple.

Max prefers such simple spaghetti to the more traditional tomato-based or creamy based variety. The smoky flavor of smoked duck gives the spaghetti a twist!
 

For a lazy sunday, I wanna make it simple. Just give my spaghetti a quick toss and serve with a bowl of effortless salad.

Yumms!

3 comments:

  1. Yum. These sure looks delicious and easy to cook. I've got to try this at home. My family will surely love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perth Salons, I could assure you that this is really delicious and easy. Do let me know once you tried it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this recipe this morning, afternoon saw cold storage having smoked duck promo, so bought some. Indeed this is easy and yummy. Next time maybe can try mixture of bacon with smoked duck. Thanks a lot for sharing your wonderful recipes! ^_^

    ReplyDelete