Thursday, July 19, 2012

Pan-Fried Pomfret with Caramelized Onion Topping

I love this fish! But I love the caramelized onion more!

It's mild, sweet, and delicious! Ahhh... I will never had enough of this. But this is not the ordinary caramelized onion that we see in western dishes. This is asian style. Or... my style? Haha. I used Soy Sauce. That's why I said so.

Whatever! As long as it taste nice.


But I don't cook this often. I will try to steam my fish more as it is a healthier choice. Frying fish at home can be lots of work. Because the fish smell and the oil ... you know? But again, I wanna eat. So, must work for it lah. Cannot eat steamed fish all the time also. It's boring!

Ingredient
  • 1 black Pomfret
  • 1 large Onion
  • 3 slices of ginger, julienned
  • 1 + 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
  • ½ tbsp Sugar 
  • ½ tbsp Sesame Oil
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • some Spring Onion for garnishing
This is a good recipe for any whole fish, but these small Pomfret are well-suited to soak up all the flavors and smaller Pomfret cost cheaper too.

Simple ingredients also can create nice dish :)

Method
  1. Clean fish, pat dry using kitchen towel. Rub 1 tsp salt all over the fish.
  2. In a non-stick pan, or Happycall pan if you have. Heat a tablespoon of oil, pan fry the fish under medium low heat. Just fry it slowly. Like that, you will have nice and crispy fish skin outside and soft fish meat inside. Heat off, dish up.
  3. Using the same pan, add in ginger and sesame oil, fry till fragrant. Heat off. Pour a tablespoon of soya sauce on it, set aside.
  4. In a skillet, heat a tablespoon of oil, add in onion, under medium heat, fry till onion turned soft. Add 1 tbsp soy sauce and ½ tbsp Sugar. Continue to fry till onions turned caramelized. 
  5. Pour caramelized onion on top of the fish, pour over the ginger and soya sauce, sprinkle with onion and there you are.
This should be the way, from raw onion turned into beautiful caramelized onions!

And then, the dish is ready. I believe your mama cooked this dish too. Right?


With this dish alone, Max can finish 1 big bowl of rice :)

3 comments:

  1. my mama never cook it this way, hahahaha!
    she just caramelise the ginger with sugar and soy sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caramelise ginger with sugar and soy sauce is another method. My grandma did that too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Annie. I tried your recipe yesterday while looking for black pomfret. And I gotta say, I love this recipe and it is easy to follow! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete