If you were to cook this, I can assure you - one dish is enough.
This chicken supposed to be the commonly known 盅仔饭 dish. They should called it as Steamed Chicken Rice in Stewing Mugs. Stewing Mugs filled with rice, topped with 70% cooked stir fried chicken dish, and steam it again under high heat.
I should start by saying that my version this "盅仔饭" chicken dish is different from those shop-bought that is normally not so flavorful. Well, it would be different, wouldn't it? It's not that I haven't tried to replicate the shop-bought version recipe, taste less flavorful, less thick sauce and pale in color, but it hasn't felt right to me.
I don't have Stewing Mugs at home, obviously. So, I don't bother. I just cook the chicken and eat with a bowl of piping hot steamed rice. It's equally delicious without that stewing mug. And I think you will have to agree with me for this.
The ingredient list won't be long, but you might find the seasoning list is longer. Since what we want a flavorful dish, it takes abit of effort here.
- 3 slices ginger, julienned
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 whole L shaped drumstick - should be about 300 to 350 grams
- 4 pieces chinese mushroom
- 1 chinese sausage
- 1/2 duck liver sausage, since I have it at home (Optional)
- 1 stalk spring onion
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp corn flour / tapioca flour
- 3 slices ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 3/4 bowl of water (about 180g)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp Shao-Xing wine
- few dashes of pepper
- a pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- Cut Chicken into bite size pieces. Mix with marinades. Set aside for 15mins.
- Soak mushroom in water till soft. Use hot water will speed up the process. Remove stem, wash and squeeze away excess water. Shred and marinade with a pinch of salt for about 10mins.
- Heat oil with wok, stir fry julienned ginger and garlic till fragrant. Add in chicken pieces and mushroom and fry till aromatic. As if you really smell so good until you feel like eating a piece immediately.
- Pour in water gradually, then stir in seasonings accordingly, simmer till chicken is cooked.
- Off the flame, add chinese sausage, stir in evenly. Dish out. Garnish with spring onions and serve with a bowl of hot steamed white rice.
With this alone, I ate 1 and half bowl of rice. This is so damned.
You may double up the recipe, go ahead to cook more and keep some for next day. Just heat it up, and you will realized that this dish taste even more flavorful after you kept it overnight. I do understand that some people do not like the idea of eating left-overs. But sometimes, it is the ugly truth that certain dishes indeed taste better the day after :)