Sunday, April 13, 2014

Bone Broth / Super Collagen Soup - (骨胶汤 / 胶原蛋白汤)

So you want to look young and radiant?

Forget about Botox! Drink Bone Broth for amazing skin! This magic pot of collagen soup could make your skin looks great!

This prolonged cooking of bones in water will give you results in a broth rich in nutritional constituents that promotes strength, nourish, help to prevent bone and connective tissue disorders and improves collagen level in your body!

Take a look at this real stuff. My bone broth produces a rubbery gelatin when chilled.


Home-made broth made from bones produces as much more nutritious gelatin that contains a wide range of minerals and amino acids. Most commercial gelatin products are made from animal skin and often contain MSG and something else that we might not know. Well. I'd prefer to consume real stuff, and cheaper too.

I prepared the soup in advance, chilled it. And I use the bone broth for some comforting noodles soup over the weekend. Of course, you could drink the soup just like that. Without noodles. It's up to you :)


Who doesn't know the goodness of collagen? I'd say, every woman should know! Collagen is the same as gelatin. It's just that the word Collagen used for its form when found in the body, and gelatin refers to the extracted collagen that is used as food. Gelatin is rich in amino acids. Although it is not a complete protein itself, it provides many amino acids and therefore decreases the amount of complete protein needed by the body.

Now, let me tell you where can you find collagen in nature and you could forget about botox. You see collagen almost everyday. It's in the skin, bones and joints of animals! For those people who say NO to pig skins, you totally have no idea how much collagen they have in there.

Ingredients
  • 2 Huge Pork Bones 大猪骨
  • 2 Chicken Carcass 鸡骨/鸡壳
  • 20pcs Chicken Feet 鸡脚
  • 200g Ground Nut / Raw Peanut, 花生 (Optional)
  • 4.5L Water 
  • Salt to taste (Optional)
Method
  1. Pre-soak the peanuts overnight (or at least 5 hours) before use. Remove the skin from soaked peanut by rubbing it hard with each other. The reason is because I would prefer my soup to have a clearer broth. Peanut skins gives your soup darker color. Rinse the peanuts until water runs clear.
  2. Rinse pork bones, chicken carcass, chicken feet, parboil them for 3 to 5mins. Rinse again.
  3. In a big soup pot, add in everything except salt. Bring to a boil for 10mins. Then reduce heat and simmer the soup over low heat for 4 hours. 
  4. After simmering the bones for several hours, remove all the bones and strain the broth. I wanted clear broth. So, I strained the broth 2nd time through a very fine hair sieve. You should get about 2L broth after strained. If you are drinking it fresh, lightly salt it. If you are keeping it as a stock for future use, it salt it only when you reheat it for consumption.
Let me tell you my way of sourcing collagen. This! All the bones here! Go ahead and add more bones if you want. No strict rules here. Adding pork hooves is awesome idea too. Trust me! :)


This is a pot of powerful soup. When you cook the bones, it breaks down the collagen and it becomes easily digestible. I added peanut in there, because peanuts gives extra nutrients. But if you are adding peanuts into the soup (like me), please please please pre-soak your peanut overnight and wash them well. If not, your soup will turn dark color. Peanut skin gives you dark soup.

If you have Crockpot or slow cooker at home, do use it. Cooking the broth on low setting is an easy way to cook broth for a prolonged time. Do bear in mind that it is a must to remove the surface scum that arises occasionally during the cooking process to achieve nicer tasting and clear looking broth.


NOTE
  1. Par-boiling and rinsing the bones before cooking and simmering the broth at low low heat is important. It helps to produce a clear broth as it greatly reduces the amount of residue in the liquid.
  2. The broth should be set to cool until the fat hardens on top. Then, remove the fat and refrigerate the broth. It will keep well in the refrigerator for a week, or upto a month in the freezer. 
  3. If your broth is properly prepared, it will gives you a rubbery, jellylike consistency broth due to the high gelatin content of the collagen. It is a great idea to prepare in advance, reheat it as a simple nutritious drink, or like me, use it for noodles.  
And if your broth looks like jello after it is chilled, YOU ARE A ROCK STAR!!! 


I reheat the jello-like bone broth to cook up some noodles here. It's simple, delicious, nutritious, and you don't need instant noodles anymore!


Ahhh!!! I love collagen! God knows how much! Look at the broth!


This is a super collagen soup. My grandma once told me... you drink this soup, you will become pretty. Oh well... olden days doesn't know what's collagen nor amino acid for sure :)
My grandma say it's beauty soup. Please drink more!!! Haha...


You may also like Chicken Feet Peanut Soup (花生鸡脚汤)

34 comments:

  1. Annie, this stuff is GOLD! Please give my regards to your Grandma on this wonderful 'Beauty Soup'. Can't wait to try it our myself :) God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to read this.Came here looking for your 猪脚醋 recipe (also a beauty soup, pork trotter contains lots of collagen and gelatine). Why? Cause am vain *shy* hehe. But manatahu you posted a REAL, more gao beauty soup LOL. Like kena bonus yeay now I go make ^_^ Thank you for posting!!

    Love your recipes, as they remind me of what my mum makes <3 Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Su Vin, yes! It is good! U have to cook them! Super Collagen!!! :D

      Delete
  3. Hi Annielicious

    No doubt pig skin has collagen but there is plenty of fat. Hence, not worth eating the pig skin to obtain this form of natural collagen if I know I am going to put on weight.

    But your clear soup broth is worthy source in obtaining natural collagen because when the soup is put in the fridge overnight, the fat formed on top can be easily be skimmed off before using the fat-less gelatin.

    Blessings
    Priscilla Poh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pris, Pig skin without fats intact is fine to eat as long as you know how to prepare them :)

      Delete
  4. Annie, I am sold! Buying bones and chicken feet this weekend. I want to be a rock star too LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phong Hong, remember to let me know the result ok? Add more chicken feet!!! :D

      Delete
  5. 哇。好浓香的汤底 ~ 加上面条和太阳蛋,好赞。好赞。

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Annie, You are genius! Thanks for sharing ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, really like your blog and especially the soup you've made. Will definitely try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks AK. Have you tried them yet? I hope you like the soup.

      Delete
  8. pretty nice blog, following :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for recipe. I try it, got my jelly. Is the jelly suppose to translucent clear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Celyn, not entirely translucent. It's slightly milky :)

      Delete
  10. Hi Annie
    Can this recipe be done with a slow cooker? If so, how?
    Tks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bh, it can be done using slow cooker. The method is about the same. Just like how you brew chinese soup.

      Delete
  11. Thanks for sharing Annie, If I use a slow cooker or pressure cooker do I have to reduce the water since it will not evaporate as fast as boiling from stove.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't have to reduce the water. Just cook it using slow cooker like normal.

      Delete
  12. I was thinking of batch-making this for steamboat parties! Do I just add the collagen into the steamboat and it will melt away to become liquid after contact with the heat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Just add the collagen into the steamboat and let the magic begins. It will melt away with the heat :)

      Delete
  13. I spy a Tanyu clay pot! Is that what you used to parboil?
    I sometimes get very lazy to rinse an additional pot just for parboiling actually. Any tips to cut down on washing ? ;)

    -Min

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Min, you can use any wok or pot that is big enough to Parboil. it doesn't matter. And no tips to cut down on washing. Haha. u need abit of effort to make nice dishes :)

      Delete
  14. Thanks so much for sharing. It's so delicious that I m going to cook it again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi..

    Need to ask you for advice on this
    1) does it work the same for thermal cooker? Eg using same 4 hours?

    2) would this be suitable for toddlers soup base ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janice,
      1. I never own a thermal cooker before. But i personally don't think thermal cooker will be able to do this job. Because you will need constant heat, so that the collagen goodness will be extracted out from the ingredients.

      2. I do not have a child on my own yet. I have no idear on toddler's diet. Maybe you may wanna ask your fellow seniors at home :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Janice,
      1. I never own a thermal cooker before. But i personally don't think thermal cooker will be able to do this job. Because you will need constant heat, so that the collagen goodness will be extracted out from the ingredients.

      2. I do not have a child on my own yet. I have no idear on toddler's diet. Maybe you may wanna ask your fellow seniors at home :)

      Delete
  17. hi, this recipe looks awesome! how long can we keep the jellied broth in freezer? TIA :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rose, I tried keeping it for more than 3 months. It's unintentional, i left in the freezer and totally forgotten about it. It taste good. No problem. I'm not sure what will happen if it is more than 3 months as I never try before. If you tried it, pls let me know :)

      Delete
  18. Hi, I tried boiling 2 pots with one using thermal. The one using thermal is not as milky as the one on the stove. I think I must get a pressure cooker as this is time consuming.
    My hubby is also complaining about the smell and he can't stand it lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Little Prince, thermal pot doesn't have sustained fire heat to 'extract' the gelatinous goodness. So, I don't recommend thermal pot. As for the 'smell', I suspect you bought 'male pig' bones. 'Male pig' gives very strong pig smell. I can't stand it. We couldnt identify it until we cook it and the strong smell comes. Pls don't give up. Do try it again :)

      Delete
  19. Hi annie!
    Was finding for broth recipe and came upon yours!
    Must try to do it over the weekend.
    Can i ask other than cooking noodles and steamboat soup base... what can we do with the broth?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Annie, can we drink this collagen broth everyday? Not sure if it would be ok to consume the broth everyday. Thanks for the useful information! - Sami

    ReplyDelete