I still remember how much my deceased father loves this bowl of sweet and fresh home-cooked dessert. He will never fail to ask my mother for another bowl. This is the 1st time I cook this dessert for Max. He loves it so much! After he finished the 2nd bowl, he asked if he can have another bowl. Hahaha.. It can be eaten hot or cold. It's up to you.
I purchased a big cut of winter melon from the wet market. This cost me about S$1.50 I think? I forgotten. Anyway, this fresh melon doesn't cost much. So, go ahead and be generous.
Please don't opt out the candied melon. This is really good to have. I love it's crunchiness of the candied melon. And I think you would love it too.
- 200g Candied Melon 糖冬瓜
- 100g Barley 薏米
- 500g Winter Melon 冬瓜
- 50g Rock Sugar 冰糖 (Adjust amount to your preferred sweetness)
- 2L Water
- Give Winter Melon a quick rinse, cut away the skin and cut them into huge cubes.
- Wash Barley, drained, set aside.
- In a pot, add water and Barley. Boil under high heat. Once it's boiling, reduce to medium low fire and let it cook for 30mins.
- After 30mins, still on medium low fire, add in Winter Melon and Candied Melon.
- Continue to boil for another 2 hour or more if you want.
- Add in rock sugar and stir until the rock sugar is totally dissolved, heat off.
- Fish out half portion of the Barley grains and discard. And your dessert is ready to serve.
Both winter melon and barley regarded as “cooling” in traditional Chinese medical practice. So, this is really really good if the weather is really hot and if you have heaty body. As I mentioned. You could serve it hot or keep them in the fridge and serve cold.
Whenever I had a bowl of this dessert, it really invoke feelings of nostalgia. I think I really miss those were the days :)