Friday, September 14, 2012

Pig Trotters Bee Hoon (猪脚米粉)

This Pig Trotter Bee Hoon has been one of the signature home-cooked dish in Singapore. It is quick, inexpensive and heavenly! Probably this is the reason why this dish has stood the test of time.

Go around and ask the adults or mothers who cook at home. I'm sure 8 out of 10 will nod their head to you as they all loves this and they cook this at home.


Max would have been very happy just having a big plate of Pig Trotter Bee Hoon. I cooked this last weekend for his lunch. He's obviously happy because I see him helping himself with his 2nd serving. That serving is like a mountain on his plate. You could figure out that? Hahaha...

I don't know about others, but for me, I usually use particular brand of Pig Trotter and Bee Hoon.

Pig Trotter : Narcissus brand (水仙花牌). It's obviously taste better to me.
Bee Hoon : Tai Sun brand (太山米粉) - The one with two big chilli. Bee hoon texture is better.

Please don't restrict yourself with these particular brand that I used. That's silly. It's okay. Although I know there will be a difference in taste and texture (this is for sure), but please just go ahead and get whichever brand you prefer.


I love to have lots of veggies in my fried beehoon. Even if it is just ordinary fried bee hoon, I will try to add color in it. Another individual preference of my own. Carrot gives me orange color, chillies gives me red, mushrooms gives me brown, spring onions gives me green.

Ahhh~ this is awesome! 

Okay... Now, let's get started...


Ingredients (Serves 3 hungry adults)
  • 200g Bee Hoon 米粉 (Rice Vermicelli) - 200g is that is half packet of it.
  • 1 Nariscuss Canned Pig Trotters
  • 120g Choy Sum 菜心 (Literally càixīn in Mandarin)
  • 60g Fresh Shitake Mushroom, cut into slices
  • 2 sprigs Spring Onions, cut into 2 inch length
  • 35g Carrot, jullienned
  • 1 Chilli, julienned
  • 3 cloves of Garlic, minced
  • 1 tbsp Oyster Sauce
  • 1 tbsp Light Soya Sauce
  • few dashes of Pepper
  • 100ml Water (to give moisture during stir-frying)

Note 1 : You could substitute Fresh Shitake Mushroom with Chinese Dried Mushrooms. 

Note 2 :  The colorful veggies (Carrot, Spring Onions and even Chillis), they are optional. You can just go without them. It's really up to you.



Method
  1. Soak Bee Hoon in water for 30mins and prepare all the veggies (wash and cut) accordingly.
  2. Give the Bee Hoon a few scissors cut. Drained and set aside.
  3. Heat wok, add a tablespoon of cooking oil, fry minced garlic till fragrant.
  4. Add in Carrot and mushrooms, and give it a quick toss.
  5. Add in Canned Pig Trotters, stir. Then add in Choy Sum and Bee Hoon, stir well.
  6. Add in Oyster Sauce, Light Soya Sauce and dashes of pepper, stir well. Add water to give it more moisture. If you want it more wet, just add more water. When you see the Bee Hoon is soft and all the liquid are almost absorbed, add in Spring Onions, give it a quick toss, heat off and dish up.
  7. Garnish and serve.

Here's something that you need to TAKE NOTE :

1 ) If you are using dried chinese mushroom, do ensure you soak them in water in advance till soften.

2 ) This dish supposed to cook under high flame. I did it. But if your hand is not fast enough, remember to control the fire. Just turn to medium heat if you are slow in adding ingredients.

3 ) DO NOT discard the oil that floating on top of the Canned Pig Trotters! The oil and the sticky sauce gives really good flavor. Just close your eyes and pour the whole can of sinful thing in the wok. And then, tell yourself that you have lots of veggies in this dish! And you will feel better. Hehe...

4 ) If more water is added during stir-fry, you might need another half tbsp of Light Soya Sauce to adjust the taste.

) I didn't use all the julienned chillis and spring onions. I leave some behind for garnishing before serve.

6 ) Giving Bee Hoon a few scissor cut is to make stir frying easier to handle, easier to serve and easier to eat too.



I love seeing colorful veggies. They are good, and they are delicious. Since that Canned Pig Trotters is obviously not giving any good nutriens, veggies are important in this dish! Agree?   :)



I love this dish! I love Nariscuss Canned Pig Trotters! I love everything in the wok! Haha... And stir frying this Pig Trotters Bee Hoon using my Neoflam pan makes it much more easier!
 

With my new residential place, the stove gives me really good open flaming fire. I love em'!

I managed to spike a mild smokey wok hei (镬气) flavour. Not alot, but just abit of them, because I'm not using a seasoned chinese wok (I know I should). The wok hei infused it with an excellent fragrant! And the sticky sauce from the canned Pig Trotters blended well with the Bee Hoon which was just heavenly!

And the dish is done!


It looks pretty messy eh? But trust me, when you eat this, you will forget about the messy part. Homecooked dishes does not require fanciful garnishing. That makes it more homely feel. Right?

I hope you like it! Do try this at home over weekend! :)


P/S : For those who's not sure what does wok hei (镬气) flavour means - It is the flavor, tastes and "essence" imparted by a hot wok on food during stir frying. Particularly important for Chinese dishes requiring to cook over a high flame, while being stirred and tossed quickly for fragrance such as char kuay teow, stir fried beef and etc.

15 comments:

  1. looks so delicious, Annie! u make me hungry now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, this is so yummy Annie! Really brings back the memory when my mum used to cook this too! She added dark soya sauce too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane, i did add dark soya sauce last time, but sometimes dark soya sauce color covered my beautiful veggies color :( hehe.. So, I think it's still ok to go without it. But i think this is individual :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was my hubby and me's favourite. Loaded with lots of oil but we loved! With age, I have long since cooked this. Time to go supermarket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Edith, do it! do it! And blog about it once the dish is up! Hehehe...

      Delete
  5. Doesn't look messy to me. It looks colorful and so delicious. My Aunt mentioned to me that the canned pig trotters is great for fried beehoon and I did not believe her. Now I believe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Phong Hong, aiya... U gotta try to believe it. Cook it! And u will know your aunt is totally can be trusted! Hehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  7. annie, can i ask how much is 35g Carrot? ha..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi ShuYing, it should be about the length of 2 inch of your carrot. Just estimate will do la :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Annie, I forgot about this post and now I'm revisiting again! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shuying!!! Hahaha.. How dare you forget me!! LOL! Anyway, happy cooking!! :D

      Delete
  10. Haha going to try this later n buy from sheng xiong

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is good! Best bee hoon I ever fried. Key point - close eyes throw whole can of water and fats in. :P

    ReplyDelete