Content : Sugar Cane (甘蔗)，Arrowroot (粉葛)，Couchgrass (白茅根)，Carrot (红萝卜).
(Recipe adapted from Wendy's blog, but slight modified. Click here for reference)
Ingredients (Serves 3 - 4)
- 300 grams of fresh beef cubes
- 300 grams of white radish
- 200 grams of carrot
- 8 to 10 pcs of waterchestnuts, washed, peeled. Should weight about 150 grams
- 100 grams of dried Sugar Cane
- 10 grams of dried couchgrass
- a slice of dried arrowroot
- 10 grams of "Nan Xing" Sweet Chinese almonds (南杏)
- About 2L water
- Pinch of sea salt to taste
- some chopped coriander to garnish before serve.
北杏 "Bei Xing" = Bitter in taste. (宣降肺气而止咳喘)
Actually the amount of the Couch grass in that pack of 甘蔗粉葛汤料 is miserable. I think it only has 5 grams of it. I do have Couch grass at home, as it is one of the common herbs that Chinese family keep stock at home. So, I make the Couch Grass into 10 grams.
- Rinse beef cubes scald in boiling water for awhile, remove and rinse. (Refer to this if you are unsure on how to scald your meat)
- Wash all the rest of the ingredients, and do all the necessary cutting.
- In a soup pot (I'm using slow cooker this time), put everything in (except salt & coriander). Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer the soup over low heat for 2 to 3 hours. I let it sit in the slow cooker for 4 hours! Woohoo! The soup is has the Power!!!
- Sprinkle salt to taste, give it a good stir. Dish up, sprinkle some coriander as garnishing and serve.
This post had been featured in Asian Food Channel (AFC) Facebook