Monday, June 24, 2013

Kuih Bengka Beras (肥豬肉) - (MFF - Penang)

I missed last month's Malaysian Food Fest (MFF) fun due to hectic school assignment. This month I told myself that I really can't miss it. This kuih looked unattractive and pale looking. But it taste really nice and bouncy with the existence of coconut milk, pandan leaves and rice flour. Coconut milk and pandan are good friends. It will never goes wrong.

I remembered I ate this kuih in Penang when I was 8 yrs old. The memory is so fresh that I could still remember how I bite the delicious kuih and it dropped the other half on the floor, and I cried because there's no more left. Hahaha...
 
Why bengka beras and not other Nyonya kuih's? That's because last month Max randomly picked one of my cookbook, and he pointed at the recipe, asking me if I could make this for him. He say this is one of his favorite nyonya kuih. I ignored his request. Later, I decided to bake kuih bengka beras after I get a confirmation from this website, showing that bengka beras is actually the Nyonya Kuih in Penang.  
 
 
Oh no. Please don't misunderstood me. I didn't say this kuih is originated in Penang. Infact, this kuih is widely selling in Malaysia, particularly in Penang, as there's alot of Nyonya kuih's available there.
 
Kampar do sell bengka beras too. And we called this kueh "fei-jue-yoke" 肥豬肉, literally pork fats in cantonese. This kuih looked really like a thick slab of pork fats. Probably that's why they named  the kuih based on it's appearance resembles it? I'm not sure.
 
All I could remember is, my late father is madly in love with this bengka beras. Whenever he goes back to hometown, he will want to buy this, and he can swallow 5 pieces at a time! Now, when I see Max eating the bengka beras that I baked, makes me remind of my late father, holding a slice of bengka beras with his satisfaction smile. Priceless!
 
 
 
I adapted my recipe from a cookbook called Nyonya Traditional Kueh, Snacks and Desserts, written by Chef Ricky Ng. He's nothern nyonya descendants. His recipe ask for 8 x 8 inch square pan. But I didn't wanna make that much kuih, as I knew I won't be able to finish it. So, I reduce the recipe ratio by 24% just to fit into a 7 x 7 inch square pan instead.
 
Ingredients
(Source :  Nyonya Traditional Kueh, Snacks and Desserts cookbook, by Chef Ricky Ng, with modification)
  • 153g Rice Flour
  • 42g Green Bean Flour
  • 12g Tapioca Flour or Sago Flour (I used Sago Flour)
  • 500ml Coconut Milk
  • 500ml Water
  • 150g Sugar
  • 3 blades of Pandan Leaves, tie knot.
  • a pinch of salt
 
Method
  1. Grease a 7 inch square pan with some oil, and pre-heat oven to 220 degree.
  2. Mix all ingredients together, except pandan leaves. Stir till sugar has completely dissolved and strain.
  3. In a heavy based pan or pot, add in mixture and pandan leaves knot. Cook under low flame and stirring continuously till mixture begin thickened.
  4. Discard pandan leaves and pour the mixture into the greased tin. If your mixture has lots of lumps at this point of time, do consider to strain it when you pour them into the greased tin.
  5. Bake bengka beras for 30 to 35 minutes, and then switch to 240 degree and let it grill for 5 mins, or until top of kuih turns dark brown.
  6. Let it cool completely before cutting the kuih.
 
 
This is my bengka beras just out of the oven.
 
 
Unmoulded. Nice charred color! I like! But if you compare with those shop-bought ones, they are not as charred as this. This is the best thing about home-made stuffs. I like the way I want :)
 
 
Once kuih completely cooled, trim away the charred sides and cut into slices.
 
 
Take a look at this... They are soft, bouncy and fragrant!
 

If you had this kuih before, you won't need me to further elaborate it's addictive yumms. If you never had this before, give this a try. It's really simple to make.
 
 
I am submitting this post to Malaysian Food Fest, Penang Month hosted by Alan of Travellingfoodies

19 comments:

  1. Hi Annie
    This kuih brings back childhood memories. One of my favourite kuih.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so yummy. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I too love to eat this nyonya kuih. Would like to make it. There is one question. May I know if the coconut you used thin or thick coconut milk? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting, didn't know it was call 肥豬肉

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is green bean flour? which brand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Delia, there isn't any brand. Usually shops selling baking stuffs should have it :)

      Delete
  5. Annie, I love the charred top. Got lots of oomph! Will try this kueh as I love all Nyonya kueh :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phong Hong, charred top is a must for this kueh. Hahaha...

      Delete
  6. Hi Annie, is my first time coming to your blog, interesting to know this kuih is call 肥豬肉 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tze, thank you for visiting my blog. I have many more interesting recipe. Do take a look and I hope you enjoy your stay here :)

      Delete
  7. Hi Annie, I have been looking for this recipe for a long time now....finally I found it...will give it a try soon...looks so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeannie, Yupe! Do try it. And if you want softer texture, do add a little bit more water. It's individual preference :)

      Delete
  8. Hi Annie I am so happy to have stumbled upon your blog with so much goodies! This nyonya Kuih is one of my favourites, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Veronica, thank you for visiting my blog. I have many more interesting recipe. Do take a look and I hope you enjoy your stay here :)

      Delete
  9. A big thank you to you. This is my childhood kuih. You bring back my old memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy, good thing must share. As long as I have the time and ability to write, I will continue to share.

      Delete
  10. Great looking kuih and the recipe seems easy, will give this a try!

    ReplyDelete