I had been wanting to make cold-set cheese cake for the longest time. Not because I like it. It's because I just feels like doing it. I'm not a fan of cold-set cheesecakes. Reason is because they are tad too rich to my liking, and to the extend that I sometimes find it bored. Another reason is because I knew I never able to finish a slice of cheesecake on my own over hi-tea. Never. This also makes me hesitate in making cheesecake at home, unless I can get something light in both texture and taste. Like this.... tofu cheesecake :)
(Source : Zen Can Cook, with modification)
For the base crust
- 10 pcs Digestive Biscuits, crushed into crumbs
- 110g Unsalted Butter, melted
- 4 tbsp Castor Sugar
- 1 tsp Ground Ginger
- ½ tsp Fine Salt
- 400g Silken Tofu
- 500g Cream Cheese, at room temperature
- 3 tbsp Passion Fruit Juice from fresh and ripe Passion Fruit
- 1 Vanilla Bean, slit and scrapped (I used Madagascar Vanilla Bean)
- ½ cup Heavy Cream or Whipping Cream (about 120ml)
- 3 tsp Powdered Gelatin
- ¾ cup Castor Sugar (about 85 grams)
- Passion Fruit Juice from 5 fresh and ripe Passion Fruit
- 1 tsp Powdered Gelatin
1. DO NOT get mixed up between silken tofu and silken egg tofu. They are two different type of tofu. If you get the silken egg tofu, you will ruin the whole cake.
2. Some of you might face problem in melting the gelatin powder evenly. Some will end up with lumps. If you are worried that you can't handle the gelatin powder well, here's the tips. In a small bowl, add a tablespoon of water (at room temperature), and then add in the gelatin powder. Wait for the gelatin powder to bloom and it will bloom into soft texture. Then, you could add these soft gelatin into the hot cream / hot passion fruit juice. Of course, you have to continue to stir it until it dissolved.
For the base crust
- Preheat oven to 175 degree. Butter an 8 inch baking dish or ring. I used 9 inch instead. It's up to you. If you are using a ring, line the bottom with aluminium foil and place on a baking tray.
- Put digestive biscuits crumbs in a bowl, add in castor sugar, ground ginger and salt. Mix well with a fork. Add the melted butter and mix until combined.
- Transfer crumbs mixture to the prepared baking tin and press it down. Ensure it is being well pressed evenly. Bake it in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden. Let it cool completely.
- Silken tofu and 3 tablespoons of passion fruit juice into the processor. Blend until smooth.
- Heat heavy cream / whipping cream in a small saucepan under low fire, until cream is warm to the touch. Add powdered gelatin bit by bit and stir until dissolved. Remove from heat and let it cool.
- In a mixing bowl, add in softened cream cheese, sugar, salt and vanilla seeds. Mix until fluffy.
- Fold in the cream and passion fruit tofu mixture until incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into the crust and refrigerate until set. At least 7 hours.
- Strain the passion fruit juice and place it in a small sauce pan
- Heat strained passion fruit juice in a small saucepan under low fire, until juice is warm to the touch. Add powdered gelatin bit by bit and stir until dissolved. Remove from heat and let it cool.
- Gently pour the cooled passion fruit mixture on top.
- Rinse some passion fruit seeds and place on top of the set cheesecake. Let it set in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before you gently unmould it by wrapping the side of the cake with a piece of hot towel (or use blow torch if you have), and serve.
Do not judge it's taste by it's look. Ripe passion fruit might looked deceiving on the outside. But you won't know the goodness until you cut it. Look at this... Isn't it beautiful?
Gently pour the cooled passion fruit mixture on top.
Add some passion fruit seeds on top and let it set in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
For the 1st time when I looked at tofu cheesecake recipe, I was like... "Huh?? Tofu?? Really??". But after I tried this soft, light, sweet and with a hint of tang on this tofu cheesecake, I totally changed the way I feel. The taste is very characteristic. It was creamy, fruity, with a hint of vanilla. This is the kinda cheesecake I like :)
Look at this. They are soft and delicate. The existence of vanilla beans gives really good flavor to the cheesecake. With the crumbly base, taste sweet and light salty, it really gives every mouthful an awesome experience.
Do try it out!
Additional Note : Incase if you are concerned if this cake would heavy tofu taste. Rest assured that it won't. It will only gives you a hint of tofu taste, as if you are eating soft and light cheesecake with the existence of soya bean taste. If you can accept eating soya bean pudding, yes, that's the taste. But the soya bean taste is much much milder. Because you have the richness of cream cheese, good flavour of vanilla and the tang of passion fruit taste blended together.