Well, you know what? You don't have to be sick to deserve or enjoy it - you do, so do! Good for body and soul. My crave for this soup is partially because of Wendy's Shallot Chicken Soup post. Wendy's version is more Umph! and intense. Mine is quick and easy version, made with simple ingredients I have on hand. All thanks to Wendy for that, her blog never fails to give me ideas. Although it might not be the best chicken soup in the world, but it definitely comforting :)
The beauty of this soup is in its simplicity, and how a drumstick could make delicious soup that serves two. This recipe is not the most traditional chicken soup recipe and you won't be seeing any exotic offerings and whatsoever. It's just home made chicken soup. That's it.
Ingredients (Serves 2)
- 1 Whole L Shaped Chicken Leg. Preferably free range chicken (Or Kampung Chicken).
- 3 Shallots, peeled, cleaned, leave it whole.
- 2 to 3 slices of Ginger
- 3 fresh Shitake Mushroom, cleaned, cut into half or leave it whole.
- A pinch of cracked peppercorn
- 600ml Water
- Salt to taste
- 1 Spring Onion, cut into 1 inch length (garnishing)
1. Clean the chicken leg, trim off excess fats. Remove the skin if you want. It's up to you.
2. Everything in the pot except salt and spring onions. Bring to a boil.
3. Lower the heat and let it simmer for about 30mins or so.
4. Salt to taste, garnish with spring onions before you serve.
It's nothing fanciful. But it is something that could warm your stomach during rainy days.