OMG! It's crunchy on the outside, soft and chewy inside. The feeling is just out of the world!
This month is Pahang month Malaysian Food Fest (MFF). I had been crazily busy due to my assignments over assignments. But I tell myself, no matter what, I will want to contribute something to MFF every month if I could. I know it's pretty late now. But at least better than nothing la :)
This recipe makes about 50pcs balls. If you think this is too much for you, half the recipe.
(Source: SeaSaltWithFood, with modification)
- 450g Orange Sweet Potato Flesh
- 250g Glutinous Rice Flour
- 30g Corn Flour
- 130g Sugar
- ½ tsp Sea Salt (Original recipe asking for ¼ tsp only)
- Oil for deep-frying
The original recipe ask for 100g Grated Coconut. But I omitted this. Because I don't remember there's grated coconut in the fried sweet potato balls that I tasted in Cameron Highland. You could add grated coconut if you want.
- Skinned sweet potatoes, cleaned, cut into big chunk. Boil sweet potatoes in a pot of water until tender. This takes me about 20mins.
- Discard water, in a big bowl, mash the potatoes.
- I put mashed potatoes into mixer bowl, add in glutinous rice flour, corn flour, sugar and sea salt and let my mixer do the work. If you are using hand, mix all ingredients together and knead lightly to form a smooth dough.
- Pinch a small piece of dough (about 15g each), with both palm, roll and form into a smooth ball.
- Heat up oil in a wok, with medium low fire, put the balls into the wok, estimate about 6 to 8 balls each time, fry until golden brown. This should take about 3 minutes. Remove and drain on a paper towel.
- Repeat the frying process until all potato balls are done. Serve immediately.
Please do not attempt to make the potato balls bigger. If you intend to make it bigger, the deep-frying time will be longer. You won't wanna eat half cooked potato balls.
This is the orange sweet potatoes that I got from the wet market. 530grams, and it cost me S$1.50.
I love to see the beautiful orange color sweet potatoes. Nice!
This home made sweet potato balls, golden brown, crispy on the outside, soft and chewy inside, the natural sweetness and flavor of sweet potatoes.
The best part about this fried sweet potato balls is that, they are so so so soooo easy to make! :D