I adapted the recipe from here, but I did modification to the recipe and twist the method too.
This recipe is for 8 x 8 inch square cake tin. But I didn't want square cake this time. So, I just used a 18cm round cake tin, and a small heart shaped cast iron cake bundt tin.
Ingredient A (to combine and sieve)
- 250g Plain Flour
- 1tsp Baking Powder
- 1tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- 6 Small Bananas, mashed, and it should weight about 240g
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice (Optional)
- 180g Unsalted Butter
- 100g Castor Sugar
- 4 Egg Yolk
- 40g Brown Sugar
- 4 tbsp Fresh Milk
- 1tsp Vanilla Essence (Optional)
- 4 Egg Whites
- 40g Castor Sugar
- Pre-heat oven 175 degree. Grease and line 8 x 8 inch square cake tin. Or 8 inch round tin if you want.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, sieve, set aside.
- Combine banana and lemon juice, mash, set aside.
- Separate egg whites and yolk. In a clean and dry bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks, gradually add 40g castor sugar and beat until stiff peak.
- Beat soft butter, castor sugar and brown sugar on high speed until light and fluffy.
- Add in egg yolk one at a time, mix till combined.
- Add in mashed bananas, vanilla essence and fresh milk, mix well.
- Mix half flour mixture on low speed until incorporated, and another half, mix until just smooth. Don't over mix it.
- Put in half the egg whites in and mix on low speed. Pour the balance egg white in and FOLD using your spatula.
- Pour batter into pan and level. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.
1. Adding lemon juice into the mashed banana is to prevent mashed banana from turning unpleasant color while you busy mixing your batter at another side.
2. If you don't have brown sugar at home, you could just use all castor sugar. Brown sugar gives your cake nice brown color. Some people likes to use all brown sugar too. Your cake will turns out darker color then.
3. The cake is really hot once it's out of the oven. I always let the cake cool in the pan for 30 minutes before removing it.
4. Let the cake completely cool before serve. If you could wait, this cake taste nicer overnight! I always bake my cake at night, and serve it in the morning.
The messy batter is now ready...
Cake just out of the oven. Nice! Abit cracked tho.
Left : Max got me this 18cm round loose bottom cake tin from Tokyo Japan. Good quality. I love it!
Right : I bought this cast iron heart shaped mould from Shanghai Street Hong Kong. It cost me S$20.00. I like the size :)
I love my heart shaped banana cake.
The outer layer of the cake browned evenly. When it is out of the oven, the color might looks abit dry. That's normal. Once the cake is cooled, the cake will looks nicer. Moist and brown.
The texture is soft and moist. I really love it. I only used 40 grams of brown sugar. So, the cake turns out not so brownish. I like this color.
This is really ideal for a lazy afternoon tea...
With a cuppa Chamomile honey tea of course! :)
I hope you like it :)