Some people called it superior stock, some called it chicken stock, some called it gou-tong (高汤) and some called it sheung-tong (上汤). Whatever. As long as you have this pot of goodness in your kitchen to standby, I bet you will be able to cook up some good Chinese food! :)
I shall cut this post really short. The trick is to use a good chicken and DO NOT opt out chinese ham. This ham gives the soup the superior taste!
- 1 Kampung Chicken, preferably old hens (老母鸡)
- 150g Chinese Ham (金华火腿) ** See Note
- 2 to 3 Chicken carcass (鸡骨/鸡壳)
- 15g Ginger, sliced (姜)
- 3 parts Spring Onions, white part only (葱)
- 4L Water
- Clean chicken, and chicken carcass. You don't have to cut them into pieces. Just leave it whole.
- Prepare ginger and spring onions accordingly.
- Using a big pot, put in all the ingredients and pour in 4L water. Bring to a boil.
- Scoop away the scums that float up, but do not scoop away the chicken oil. Those are flavors.
- Let the soup boil for 10mins, and reduce to very low fire to let it slowly simmer for at least 4 hours.
- Once the soup is cooked for 4 hours, let it cool abit. Strain the liquid and discard all the soup ingredients, and keep only the broth.
Divide the broth with plastic bags or small containers into portions. Remember to well seal them and air-tight. Freeze away. If you need to use them, just take it out, thaw and you have superior chicken stock!
You totally don't have to use any MSGs for your cooking!
Give it a try :)